Friday 23 October 2015

What's on my face: Review + Swatches


Hello beautiful strangers, 


I threw together this look for my friend Tisha's birthday dinner last Friday and considering how out of practice I am with eye make up, it turned out pretty decent. So here is a little post with mini reviews and swatches of the products that I used for this easy eyeliner-only smoky-eye look.

You guys already know how much I love the Rimmel Scandaleyes crayons (swatched here), 011 Bluffing is the newest shade that I've picked up and my favourite out of the bunch, it's great for a wash of shimmery taupe all over the lid, or built up for a really gorgeous metallic finish. Here I've used it for a base for my smoky-eye, blending it out with my finger. Next I drew Mac Pearlglide eye liner in Black line all around the lower portion of my eyelids and smudged it out with my finger, lightly though so I don't lose the intensity and pigmentation. This is so sparkly and pretty and once it sets, it does not budge. I also brought the colour down to the outer half of my lower lash line to intensify the look, and added black liner to my waterline and the root of my upper lashes. I then added Zoeva Graphic Eyes+ in Nude Reflection to the inner half of my lower lashline, for added dimension and to tie everything together. Nude reflection isn't nude at all, but rather a metallic cool-toned taupe. I absolutely love this liner, but I completely forgot to include it in the pictures. I recently bought two more shades so I'll do a post all about them soon!

Artificial light: Rimmel Bluffing, MAC Blackline, Rimmel Black, Media eye brow, Bourjois Luminous Primer, Boujois Happy Light Foundation #52, YSL Touche Eclat #8, Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder #52,
Chanel Joues Contraste #280 Golden Sun, theBalm Mary Lou-manzier, MAC Lavender Jade
Natural light: Rimmel Bluffing, MAC Blackline, Rimmel Black, Media eye brow, Bourjois Luminous Primer, Boujois Happy Light Foundation #52, YSL Touche Eclat #8, Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder #52,
Chanel Joues Contraste #280 Golden Sun, theBalm Mary Lou-manzier, MAC Lavender Jade
I finished off the eyes with lashings of mascara: the Canmake Quick Lash Curler is a recent amazing discovery, the mascara wand is a very skinny comb and the formula is also very wet. It takes getting used to but it builds up my lashes so so long and it's super waterproof (it can survive swimming and other steamy activities). I can't remember what the original Falsies is like but I really like the Maybelline Falsies Big Eyes, both sides of the wand are great and I like using the lower lash wand for "no make up" make up days. This combination gave me some seriously big lashes. I did my brows with a grey pencil from Media, a Japanese Brand. I hardly ever do my brows so I literally bought the cheapest decent looking eyebrow pencil from Sasa, and it's working great.

For my face, I started with the Bourjois Happy Light Luminous Serum Primer followed by the foundation from the same line. The primer is a recent purchase and I didn't realise it was only 15ml when I ordered it, which is a bit of a rip-off as it's the same price as the 30ml foundation. I don't find my complexion particularly dull, so I can't comment on how illuminating this is, but it's been doing well for a bit of hydration and smoothing things out. The Happy Light Foundation (#52 beige clair) I've used for ages, it's not a love, but it is a good standard light, but buildable coverage foundation. I like it best when I use a minimal amount and really buff it into the skin before layering more on areas that need more coverage. For this I use the Sigma F80 Flat-top Kabuki, which is fast becoming my favourite foundation brush. I like that the bristles are incredibly dense, but have more movement than the F88 Angled Flat-top Kabuki (my previous fav), making it easier and more effortless to work with. I used the YSL Touche Eclat #8 to mask my dark circles and any redness around my nose, and highlight my forehead and down the bridge of my nose. Everything is set in place with my absolute favourite powder, Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder (#52 vanille), lightly rolled onto my face using Sigma F25 brush. I never understood what finely-milled meant until I used this, and you can see that it's clearly a favourite as it's the only make up product that I've ever hit-pan on.



For blush, I finally caved and bought Golden Sun from Chanel's limited edition autumn collection. I've always avoided Chanel cosmetics because I felt like you could always find something etremely similar and just as good from Bourjois. Golden Sun is the most unique shade that I've ever seen, not quite a blush yet not quite a bronzer. I would describe it as an ashy pink-brown. The shimmer is very apparent when you swatch it, but on the cheek it blends into a beautiful satin finish. I've applied it further back and angled towards my temples for a sculpted look. Then I topped everything off with the most beautiful highlighter in the world, Mary Lou-manizer by the Balm on my cheekbones and pressed into the inner corners of my eyes. This stuff is so buttery soft, so be careful and don't drop it or else it will look like mine... 
I paired lilac lipstick with this look, because why not? I always try to remember to wear MAC prep+prime under lipstick, because I'm so paranoid about my lips getting pigmented from wearing lipsticks. It's comfortable under matte lipstick without comprising the matte finish and longevity. This was the first time I've ever worn MAC Lavender Jade out and it was surprisingly wearable and more pink than I'd expected.



Oh golly, that was way longer than I'd anticipated, but I hope I introduced you to some new products to try. It feels good to write and spew my love for beauty, Idk why I even took a hiatus. I'll be back with more soon, I promise!

Linzi x

No comments:

Post a Comment